Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Seeking God's Kingdom

As I arrived at the office I immediately turned on my pc and browse through my bookmarks and clicked on biblegateway.com. This is the first thing I do every morning, read God's word first before I start with my work.
Today I read Matthew 6:33 which says, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
Seeking God in happy and comfortable situations is easy but when we are in trouble and in painful circumstances of our lives, God seems to be distant and out of reach. It is really hard to praise God if you're in the middle of a dilemma. Have your experienced that? Praising God even though it's hard? I think that's one of the things we should learn. That even if we are overwhelmed by our problems, we still have the time to look up and give praises and thanks to God. Because it's in these timse that we need Him more and it's in these times that He wants to be with us.
Matthew 6:33 gives us the wisdom that if we want to have the things that we desire in our lives we should seek God first. Making God your first priority is quite hard if you're not used to it. But if you always exercise that, it would be easy, so much easy even if we are drowned with trials. I remember one illustration that most of us have experienced, its with giving. If we are not used to tithing, then it would be harder to give when we are short of finances. That's why I myself have developed the love for giving. Since I As what the bible says, if we put God first in everything, we will have what we need. So even though i really need the money, I know God would be more happy and even bless me with more if I give to Him first. Some people can't just understand this logic of Christians hehe, but we know that sacrificing for God is always the best choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

while i was reading your blog, i already assumed it will end up in tithes giving... it's been usually used by the church to encourage members to give the whole tithes (plus the "for the missions, for the building, for the everything"). It's good to give tithes since God promised to give it back.. pressed down, shaken together and running over . You can say it is a very good investment having more than doubled ROI. We should be thankful that God is really generous for that matter.

The first time i read this alone tithes didn't crossed my mind, i was a bit concerned with the all since it has a preceding verse. Each time i encounter this verse (except when most pastors use it for tithes promotion) it speaks differently, like now... the word that struck me is the first. Relating it to Priorities. Because of the works that needs to be done, personal errands, the demands that you get especially when you have your husband, your kids...stuffs like reading the Bible, sharing it to someone, pausing to fellowship with God, and fellowshipping with other christians are given less priority.

Personally, I find this verse is very hard to live up to and i've never seen a single soul who's able to do this and this really is quite impossible to do... anyway "God is a God of impossibles. It takes Him to enable us."